This is an extremely detailed French gluten free card, written by a celiac and translated by native French speakers familiar with the condition. I created these cards to help others with celiac disease travel safely.
Show this card to restaurants, hotel staff, chefs, or anyone preparing your food, to help make sure your food requirements are taken seriously. Each card goes through two sets of translations to ensure accuracy.
Looking for a general French card for use in France? Grab my GF translation card for France, here.
Upon purchase, you will receive a confirmation email with a green 'download' button. The download button will give you a digital download (PNG image file) that is specifically sized for your smartphone. On your computer, click the download button and download the .png file for your phone. You can also reduce the image size and print to hand out on your travels.
You will then receive a second email with the English translation for the card.
Your gluten free translation card:
- includes a basic explanation of the disease and what we can't eat;
- uses local ingredient names to best communicate what has hidden (and not hidden!) gluten;
- expressly mentions cross-contact and contaminated oil or surfaces—something less detailed cards don't do;
- provides a list of ingredients that can be eaten safely; and
- adds an apology for the inconvenience to the chef and staff of the restaurant or stall, to explain it's an obligation, not a choice, that we are eating gluten free.
NOTE: If you have any questions about this card, or are having trouble purchasing or downloading it, or accessing the English translation, please send me an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you purchase via credit card, your statement charge will read "Gumroad" (the e-commerce platform where I sell these cards).
Looking for other gluten free suggestions for other parts of the world? See my gluten free travel page on Legal Nomads, here.
Downloadable gluten free translation card as a PNG image file, to help you eat safely as you travel.